Tuesday 26 November 2013

Away with the Fairies

When I was a little girl, one of my aunts delighted in buying me a t shirt which proclaimed that I was "away with the fairies". As an adult who is still very much away with the fairies, I have of late had a hankering for that shirt (though I wager it would have to be scaled up several sizes!)

I decided to commit that beloved (if ruefully worn) phrase to cloth, as an antidote to the serious stitchy business of RSN embroidery. However, some of my training so far has seeped in there, and padded satin (the mushroom caps), bullion (the gills, or frilly bits to you and me), and raised stem band (the stalks) stitches all make an appearance in what I think is quite a pretty, if slightly puckered, little patch.


The background is a donated fabric from the bounty I mentioned in my last post. Here are some more of the glorious 60s quilting cottons which have been bestowed upon me:


It's nice to make something "for me" again, and get a little practise of techniques whilst doing so. I tried not to worry too much about "getting it right" and just go with the flow. This little fairy ring stitch sampler was inspired in no small part by the season, and by the beautiful embroideries of one of my favourite up and 
coming indie designers, Rachel Parent, aka The Old Milk Lake.
Still trying to make the most of Autumn's richness before Winter really sets in
Currently can't resist anything fungi and sewing related... I've got a stash of toadstool print fleecy fabric too, which may become the most adorable needlecase in existence







3 comments:

  1. aw love it!!! also, loving the vintage fabric stash ! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! How's RSN going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! I've got big plans for that fabric stash.

    The RSN is both wonderful and overwhelming, but the main thing is it is going!

    ReplyDelete