Saturday 26 January 2013

"A nice new winter coat"


I actually finished this latest page of What To Look For In Winter before I departed for Berlin, but had so much last minute packing etc. to do I didn’t find the time to post it here.
As with previous pages, I aimed for a marriage between the original text and the writing I laid over the accompanying image with needle and thread. The topic, too, is marriage; that of the narrator and “Winter”; a wintry fairytale.
As “The stoat in the foreground” of the illustration “has his semi-winter coat”, I thought I would clothe “Winter” in his best coat, keeping the cold out although he has “put the world on permafrost”.
He wore his best coat
(for it was Winter’s wedding)
And carried me over 
the ice.
scan0102scan0103
Winter carries the heroine over the threshold of the frozen lake and into his frozen fortress.
The next page of the original text, and my alteration of it, continue to mention coats… although they may not be all that they appear.
PS I borrowed the title of this blog post from one of my favourite Lily van Der Stokker wall paintings:

No comments:

Post a Comment