Sunday 27 January 2013

Sewing the seams of change, sowing the seeds of change


This Wednesday evening I shall be leading a Craftivist stitch-in for the Craftivist Collective‘s project “I’m A Piece”. The Collective are asking stitchers new and old to contribute an embroidered jigsaw piece to a giant art installation raising awareness of world hunger and injustice to support Save the Children‘s Race Against Hunger campaign.
Participants are asked to create two more jigsaw pieces; one with a personal message to remind themselves that they are part of the crafty call for change, and one embroidered with the phrase “I’m a piece”, to be passed on to their MP to urge them to use their power for good.
So far I’ve stitched up my first piece for the art installation. I decided to put a Significant Seams spin on things by embroidering the words “Sewing the seams of change, sowing the seeds of change“, and creating the puzzle piece in pinks and purples, the Significant Seams colours. The words are sewn in a sketchy stem stitch, with “Sewing the seams of change” highlighted with running stitch to represent “seams”. I’ve added a few gold bead “seeds” around “sowing the seeds of change“. To tidy up the edges and create a pretty border, I’ve finished the puzzle piece with blanket stitch:
I'm a piece 003I'm a piece 004
If you’d like to get your stitch on and add your voice to the call for change, join me this Wednesday 30th January from 6 – 8pm at 131 Wood Street, Walthamstow, E17. You can book online here, and join the event here.

No comments:

Post a Comment