Monday 14 January 2013

Swaps, sales, and sinister sewing


Last Wednesday evening I had the most delightful January pick-me-up; I made my first sale on Etsy! The item which sold was Dishwater Eyes, one of my first embroideries for my project The Cure for Love, and was a romantic present for the buyer’s wife. I’ve yet to hear whether she was happy with it yet, but I’m very happy that one of my embroideries can be so meaningful for somebody else.
dishwater eyes
As well as selling work, I’ve been doing some swapping of late; the fabulously stylish Jen ofhoodratroughdiamond wanted to know how  she could get a hold of one of my Stitch Witches rosettes (illustrated by Hanecdote and simply sewn by me):
_1010305scan0081
Well, I’d been hankering after some of Jen’s ghoulishly gorgeous creepy cute accessories for a little while, and so I was chuffed when she suggested we do a swap. I can’t help feeling I lucked out with my goodies; I got this witty little brooch (a much better motto than “Live fast, die young”, wouldn’t you agree?):
_1020007
I also received a bone-shaped hair barette which I’m going to describe, in true fashion-twerp style, as “disco-morbid” (it’s covered in glitter!)
Snapshot_20130112_7Snapshot_20130112_11
Today I’ve confirmed another spooky swap with Oh Hell Clothing; an embroidery of mine for this rather fab over-sized Ouija tee:
OVERSIZED OUIJA TEE
You can now get your hands on your very own Stitch Witches rosette over at my Etsy shop. Now seemed like a good time to make the rosettes available to buy, as Stitch Witches is becoming something of a movement! Our Facebook group has 135 members and counting, and has become a real (virtual) social hub for crafty young women, a source of inspiration, advice, and celebration of our creativity. Hannah and I can’t wait to get the zine out and get other Stitch Witches involved in our little (but quickly growing) project.
Finally, a silly photoshoot with a fantastic old book I’ve discovered via Significant Seams; it seems one I definitely need to share with the Stitch Witches coven:
_1020003_1020010
The book isn’t quite as sinister as it might appear, however, rather quaint and English and old-fashioned in fact (a bit like the author of this blog, perhaps?) and really warrants a blog post all of its own…

No comments:

Post a Comment